March 17 & 18 at 7pm
In this comedy thriller (based upon Alfred Hitchcock’s film of the same name), Richard Hannay is a man with an “ordinary life” who meets a woman with a strong accent who says she’s a spy. Framed for her murder, Hannay finds himself thrust into the middle of an international conspiracy. Hannay leads police on a nationwide manhunt as he rushes to clear his name before the mysterious organization known as “The 39 Steps” silences him and smuggles vital military secrets out of the country. This two-time Tony® and Drama Desk Award-winning treat is packed with nonstop laughs, over 150 zany characters (played by a ridiculously talented cast of four), an onstage plane crash, handcuffs, missing fingers, and some good old-fashioned romance!
Auditions will consist of cold reads from the script. Please note, due to the setting and wide range of characters we will be performing this show using various English and Scottish accents. If you are comfortable with your accent(s) please feel free to audition using them. If you are not comfortable cold reading in an accent, please have a monologue or some other prepared piece ready to audition with in an English and/or Scottish accent.
- Rehearsals will start the week of March 25th and with a few exceptions will be nearly every weeknight until the show opens.
- Performances run May 17 – June 2, Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays at 2:30pm.
Various locations in England and Scotland – 1935.
- Richard Hannay: (Male, Late 30’s-40’s) Richard has recently returned home to England after living in Canada for some time, he considers his life boring, with many old friends having moved on to bigger and better things. “… I was bored. No more than bored. Tired. Tired of the world and tired of -life, to be honest.” Suddenly he is thrust into an international conspiracy and must fight to clear his name and stop top secret information from leaving the country. The remainder of the cast is played by three actors:
- Annabella Schmidt/Pamela/Margaret: (Female) Annabella is the mysterious spy who asks Hannay if she can stay the night because her life is in danger. Pamela is in the right (or wrong) place at the right time and helps Hannay (against her own will at times) reveal the secret of The 39 Steps. Margaret is an innocent Scottish farm girl who wants to see the world, but her husband prefers the country to the cities and doesn’t want her thinking of such things.
- Clown 1: The two “clowns” play the remaining characters (including the women) – they play the incidental characters such as the Milkman, various police officers, hired guns and other minor characters Hannay comes across, as well as major plot point characters such as Professor Jordan and Mr. Memory. Due to the range of characters, a range of accents and different voices will need to be used to help differentiate them.
- Clown 2: The two “clowns” play the remaining characters (including the women) – they play the incidental characters such as the Milkman, various police officers, hired guns and other minor characters Hannay comes across, as well as major plot point characters such as Professor Jordan and Mr. Memory. Due to the range of characters, a range of accents and different voices will need to be used to help differentiate them.
We’re also always looking for crew members – if you’re interested being a part of this hilarious show but are more of a “behind the scenes” type person, feel free to drop by auditions to talk.
For more information please email director, Thomas Meek, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions leading up to auditions.
Please invite anyone who you think may be interested in auditioning, all are welcome!
CREW MEMBERS & NEWBIES:
CCCT prides itself as being a place for people who have always wanted to get involved in theatre but never had the chance. We often cast people with little experience – our job is to serve our community by providing an artistic release for everyone. We’d love to have you join us
Audition nights are a perfect time to come out, meet the director, and express your interest in helping out backstage, be it in the role of a stage manager, lights & sound operator, concessions, or whatever else you might like to do.
“Clear Creek has a great depth of talent in its acting pool and it’s always good to see all roles, large and small, performed to a high standard.”
Shannon Caldwell , The Galveston Daily News